Women in Agriculture Development (WIAD) is a unit under the ministry of food and agriculture.
VISION OF WIAD
To improve lives and working conditions of rural households and other women in terms of increase in income, improved nutritional status and health
To assist rural households and other women in the agricultural sector to improve their standard of living through improved agricultural practices.
To improve access of women and other target groups to information, improved agricultural and post production practices for adoption, facilitating their access to resources towards an increase in production, high incomes, improved nutrition, health and food security on environmentally sustainable basis.
PROGRAM AREAS OF WIAD
- Food based nutrition program
- Food production
- Food processing, preservation, storage and utilization
- Resource management on the farm and at home.
- Food hygiene and safety
ACTIVITIES OF WIAD
- Extend modern methods of farming to farmers aimed at ensuring household food security and increase income.
- Assist farmers process and utilize their farm produce, example Soya beans, Leafy vegetables.
- Teach farmers to grow and eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) sensitize farmers on good hygienic practices.
- Teach farmers how to combine the three food groups in preparing household meal.
- Facilitate in training women farmers in income generating activities such as soya kebab preparation, soya milk, improved rice parboiling and laundry soap making.
CROSS CUTTING ISSUES
- HIV/AIDS prevention
- Bush fire prevention