Eating nutritionally adequate diet from a dirty bowl in a dirty environment does not promote good health. To derive maximum benefit from the food we eat it is important to keep our food, water and environment clean.
How can we keep our environment clean?
- Always keep your environment clean.
- Observe personal hygiene all the time.
- Toilet must be kept clean and free from flies. In the absence of toilet, dig a pit and cover it immediately after use
- Provide chamber pots for children and empty its content immediately into toilet or a pit and cover it after use.
What can we do to keep our food clean and safe?
To keep your food clean and safe it is important to observe the following:
- Wash your hands with clean water and soap before handling food, feeding a child or sick person and after visiting a toilet.
- Use clean bowls and utensils for cooking and serving food.
- Fruits and vegetables should be washed with salty water and rinsed before use.
- Store food in clean containers with tight fitting lids.
- Cover food to keep it away from dust and flies.
- Keep food preparation area clean at all times
- Always keep finger nails short and clean
- Avoid spiting or coughing near food or water
- Cover wounds on hands to avoid contamination during food preparation.
How can we keep our water clean?
- Water for domestic use should be fetched from clean, safe and protected sources.
- Water that is not clean and safe should be filtered and boiled for 15 minutes before use.
- Clean your water container at least once a week
- Keep drinking water in covered containers